Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I Got Class... Lots and Lots of Class

A good portion of the day today was spent in a classroom. Got to go over, yet again, LOAC (Law of Armed Conflict - the Army calls it the Law of War), (ROE) Rules of Engagement, and about a dozen other things I've had to sit through for years. It wasn't much more interesting now than it was the first time.

I ate at the DFAC (that's a dining facility) over at the Ft. The food was really nice over there. Then, this evening, I find out that for about two weeks we'll be eating MREs (the stuff I mentioned yesterday.)

I'm coming down with a little cold. I think it's probably the change in weather and atmosphere around here compared to where I was. It's really not hot down here, but it's dry as a bone. The nurse at the clinic gave me some decongestant and we'll see how that does.

I actually have a day off tomorrow. It's quite possibly the only day off while I'm here. I'll try to enjoy it.

Finally, a couple reminders for myself to make a list for the next person to get this training:

1. Bring a pair of boots (no matter what the paperwork says)
2. Bring t-shirts (see above)
3. Bring towels and washclothes or be prepared to buy them at the troop store
4. Atropine, etc. are not needed if you are returning to your homebase before deploying
5. Bring your computer, ipod, mp3 player, radio, whatever (you'll have time in the evening to use them
6. You will fall under General Order No. 1 while you're here. Familiarize yourself with it
7. There is a troop store (like a small shoppette). You can buy dvd players and some other electronics there
8. There's a Rec Center with a massive screen television that plays movies or tv every night. (If American Idol is still running when you're here, it will be on.)
9. There's a gym with limited cardio machines, a fair amount of bodybuilding equipment, and a basketball court
10. Everything... I mean everything... you are issued here will be going with you on deployment. Be prepared to fly with it. Don't worry, you'll get to return it all to its home when you're done with it. Fun.
11. Be prepared to sleep in an open-bay barracks
12. Don't worry about detergent or dryer sheets the barracks are stocked with them
13. You may want to bring some cash or credit cards along for those trips to the Ft.
14. Verizon connection here is awful. Don't count on it being available. (Apparently Nextel works okay.)
15. You get issued one pillow, one pillow case, two non-fitted sheets, and one wool blanket that doesn't really cover your bed. If this is an issue for you, bring your own or be prepared to buy some at the troop store

That's it for now. I'll add more as time goes by,
Eric

6 comments:

Soo Mi said...

I had to sleep on it, but I've got the perfect one (or two) for your:

Alex Trebek, or

Trivial Pursuit!

Either way, it's all good.

smoochy smoochy!

Soo Mi said...

And I really shouldn't do the "I told you so" thing about the boots, but...

Soo Mi said...

One MORE thing...

Dude, you need me to mail you something? I can USPS one-day or 3-day to you, if you've got an addy.

Soo Mi said...

Thought of another one: TVGuide!

Anonymous said...

So I am late in replying. It's been hectic around here. Hansel has had to work every Saturday, but on the bright side he got a raise so the overtime is nice. Gretel got a raise too. Even though I am only working 4 days a week it's about to get busy. I am one of two permanent people up front and there is another girl who floats from the front to the back. She's a hygenist but mainly does front desk. One of the ladies is about to leave for major back surgery which will leave us with only two up front and yours truly is the main one. My old off, Dr. Smith's office, called last week to see "if anyone was looking for a front desk position." It's nice to know people want you, but I'm not leaving. I'm getting paid a lot more plus I get bonuses and profit-sharing. Hansel got a home building program ( I think much like the one I gave to Susan several years back) and he's busy creating our house and drawing up some additions and landscaping. We actually was able to draw the house round and he wants to add a round little tower on the side. When he's done, I'll see if I can save the picture and send it to you if and when you have access to e-mail. Since this is lengthy I will leave you for now. And although it sounds like its pretty ok in your training, just the thought of sleeping in an open barrack with all those people is horrifying......no thanks....princess treatment for me all the way, thank you very much.... :) We love ya.......Hansel and Gretel

Elitist City-Dweller said...

At least this open barracks only has about 12 people in it. In Basic Training, I lived for 6 weeks in one with 31 other guys. (Initially, it was with 49 other guys.)

Honestly, the training is the worst part for me. They throw a lot of information at you and expect you to regurgitate it. There are a few fun moments, like I'll mention in my next post.

Tell Hansel not to work himself too hard, and you don't either.