Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Another Day, Another MRE

For those of you who don't know what an MRE is, it's a "Meal Ready to Eat." It comes in a little plastic bag, and you're supposed to be able to open it up and eat it right away. Sounds good on the surface, but in reality, they're not the best thing you've ever eaten. I hear that they're better these days than they were in the past, but still not so good.

Truthfully, I haven't had to eat any... yet. We are supposed to get some field training later on and will probably have to eat some at that time. I have been eating at the chow hall... an honest to goodness chow hall. I've kind of enjoyed it. It's free, and it's filling. So, I can't complain.

For the last couple of days, we've had to go to briefings up at the main part of Ft. Bliss. The people in my group have taken advantage of that and yesterday, we ate at Manchu Wok. Today, we got to eat at Chili's. I'll admit, it was pretty good.

The best thing about Day 3 (there will be 32 days of training) is that we're all starting to gel as a team. Everyone has his or her role, since we're a mixture of officers and enlisted, but everyone seems to be opening up and building as a team. We've spent some time at the Recreation Center playing cards and pool, and watching movies. Some of the team have even started giving out call signs. So far, we have a "Clark Kent," "Janitor" (from Scrubs), "Lex Luthor," "Zach Morris" (from Saved By the Bell), and "Crash." "Crash" wanted to be called "Affirmative Action," but it didn't stick.

Still more briefings tomorrow over at Bliss.


Later,
Eric

3 comments:

Beav said...

You can't just leave it at that...do you have a callsign yet?

Elitist City-Dweller said...

No callsign for me, yet. I'll let you know if I get one. We've got twelve folks, so they're not finished.

One of the girls coming up with callsigns now has "Karen" (from Will and Grace) as her callsign.

Soo Mi said...

Got that thing sorted. Didn't change the post date when I set it up. Set up a new one, it posted yesterday. You should be good to go.

Also. Drew's buggin' about the myspace. I keep putting him off.

As for a callsign, I'm thinking, Columbo or Trapper John. Although Comfy Chair or Sir Gallahad are pretty good, too!

Delete this comment if you want, btw. You know, personals and all that...