Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Now I Dun It

Many of you know I'm in the Air Force, but I was recently surprised to discover that I'm in the military. I have got to find that recruiter and kick his butt.



(That picture might be a couple years old.)


Two Fridays ago (5 Jan 2007), I got notice that I would be deploying to Iraq. It was a short notice thing, one of those deployments that needs to get filled right away. The best things about it are that it's only 6 mos long and I should be back in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I don't like to put too much detail into these blogs, but I saw one recently that a military guy had started to keep in touch with family and friends while he was deployed. Since this miracle of technology exists these days, I thought I would start one, myself. It may not always contain a lot of detail, but I hope to be able to update it regularly with some of the fun and interesting things that happen to me along the way.

Of all the things I've done in the last week (and that's a lot in preparation to deploy) tomorrow should be interesting. I have to qualify on the M-16. For most military, including myself, this is no big deal. Most of us have done it before. This time, however, there's a twist. I have to get kitted up in the gear (body armor, gas mask, the works). I have no idea how that's going to affect my shooting, but it doesn't sound like it's going to be comfortable. We'll have to see how it goes.

Ta ta for now!
Eric

No comments: